Event & Marketing Coordinator (10 weeks)
Who we are:
OFFA or Oakville Festivals of Film and Art is an organization committed to breathing new life into the Oakville community by promoting cultural and artistic diversity with the cinematic arts as a focal point. As part of our annual schedule we will run a four day Film and Art Festival (The Willson Oakville Film Festival) from June 20-23 2019. This is our sixth year of running this community and event-oriented, independent festival.
We need you for an approximate 10 week placement, beginning (approximately) mid-May until mid-July.
This position involves assisting our Communications Manager with publicizing, marketing, and communications for the festival. Reporting to the Communications Manager, you have at least one year of experience in marketing and publicizing events, and you are keen to learn and grow in this role. You will also participate in promotional events to raise awareness of the festival, and will be a key part of the Event and promotions team. You are an energetic task master, solid team member and have an interest in the arts, and experience volunteering or working at film or other arts festivals. You have exceptional writing and editing skills, are web savvy and can design and send email newsletters on the web, send out social media, arrange community events and manage volunteers and other jobs as necessary. You also engage well with the public, and like working with people. Your marketing and event coordination experience, and exceptional social media skills will help us to promote this event out in the community. You may be working some evenings and weekends, including the full weekend of the festival (20-23 June) as well as the launch party event (14 May), outdoor screenings, and other marketing events.
What will you work on?
- Helping to create and deliver communications and marketing material
- Helping to publicize and promote the festival by working with the Communications Manager and Event Manager. Your work could include helping to draft press releases and other written material, sending out material to press lists, local media, creation and sending out of weekly OFFA newsletters (daily once we get into June), taking part in evening and weekend events to help promote the festival
- Social media campaign- proficiency in using twitter, familiarity with social media industry contacts
- Coordination of all print and marketing materials for festival
- Special grassroots marketing within Oakville. Set up and run booths at various events, including sidewalk sale, Farmers Market, and others as required. Deal with organizations to create outreach initiatives. Arrange for transportation to and from events
- Managing the schedules of volunteers at community initiatives, as well as at the festival itself
Responsibilities will include:
- A strong working relationship with the OFFA team, in particular with the Communications and Marketing Managers
- Liaison with marketing partners and sponsors, with our audiences, and others involved with the festival
- Tracking of all publicity and marketing and reporting back to Communications Manager; Compiling records of press material
- Dealing with sponsors where press material is required
- Car is required to be able to get to and from events and other outreach activities
- Flexible schedule (weekend work required, in particular during the festival and also for outreach activities which occur on weekends)
- Previous experience coordinating film festival communications and publicity
- Experience with Microsoft word and excel. An eye for graphic design helpful
- Excellent organizational skills
- Great interpersonal skills. Must be comfortable dealing with the public
- Energetic, creative and innovative
- Proven time management and organizational skills
- Comfort with technology (planning and communication) Excellent social media skills
- Passion for details and for the Arts
- NOTE: access to a car is useful. Must be able to get to and from working locations.
Deadline for Placement: 1 May 2019 (negotiable)
Co-op placements will be sent to Wendy Donnan: firstname.lastname@example.org (Executive Director)